Sunday, February 8, 2009

Off Topic

This is way off topic.

This weekend has seen a tragic series of massive bushfires sweep through the Australian state of Victoria. Bushfires are a common part of Australian life, but this weekend marks a sad day in Australian history. At last report 84 lives have been taken by the fire, including children. More than 750 homes have been lost, including whole towns. It is devastating to say the least.

Sarah and I have been chatting tonight about doing something for the survivors. Now there are many ways people can help out and you can click here to get more information on making a financial donation.

If you'd like to put your craft skills to good use, The Toy Society will be collecting handmade toys over the next couple of weeks to be donated to children impacted by the fires. Many families have nothing but the clothes on their backs. Please email thetoysociety@gmail.com if you're interested. At this stage there are no organisations collecting goods on behalf of survivors however, we will keep you informed about which organisation we find to take the donations.

If you have any ideas about existing charities looking for these kind of donations, please let me know.

12 Feb Edited to add: The first donated handmade toy was delivered to Whittlesea today. Thought you'd like to know. Any further updates will appear here on this post and will be emailed to anyone who volunteered to make a toy.

27 comments:

trash said...

we will send something as soon as we can.

Christiane said...

i live in bendigo, and the fire was only a few ks from my house! we donated a whole heap of groceries this morning,but i would love to craft some toys for those that have lost their homes yesterday and today...

Anonymous said...

I was just saying to someone else that it'd be great to do a toy drop for those affected. Great idea! Count me in!

Rachael said...

Hi there, just to let you know I am taking up a collection of handmade babies and children's clothes at my blog (www.grandyandbaa.blogspot.com)

These will be distributed further down the track (hopefully working with CWA or similar on that).

Rach

Juddie said...

Hi Bianca,

This is so devastating. I've also been on the lookout for organisations collecting toys etc, and I'll let you know when I find one. I'm sure the recovery process will take many many months, as there are so many families in need of help.

Best wishes,
Juddie

Crescent Moon said...

I will post a link to your blog on my blog and on a mothering forum I am part of, so that people in the U.S. will be aware of your need.

kelly said...

I'll start sewing.

Jodie said...

I'm onto it and will blog it ASAP.

Cate Lawrence said...

i'm onto it too

Anonymous said...

Great, thank you. I'll get started. I need to do something. Anything.

Liesl said...

I would like to help too. Will get started today.

Jenny said...

I would love to help and I'll mention it on my blog. You know I was a little girl during the dreadful bushfires in Tasmania in 1967 and I clearly remember going through my toys to find something to give to the poor little children who had lost everything.

Ange Moore said...

I'd love to make something to help - please count me in.

Kate said...

I'm going to make a couple of things and just blogged about it.

fi said...

i'm in too my dear!

Anonymous said...

Its the least I can do.

Janellybelly said...

I'm in (just sent you an email for the postal address), & I'll see if I can gather some friends together so we can make a 'create day' of it.

monda-loves said...

I will also donate. I'll email you asap and blog it to help spread the word.

Monda
x

Rebecca Jones said...

I definitely want to help, and will start making some stuff immediately, I'll also mention it on my blog. Thanks for organising, will email you shortly.

Mistea said...

Count me in. I will make some toys to contribute will email shortly.

Mandalin said...

I was looking for a way to donate. Thank you. I will email you now.

rachel griffith said...

this is a great way to help the children.
:D

i blogged about it to try to get some more helpers generated.

Em said...

HI there,
i am just about to email you to get the details, just been to the local Salvos store to get some fabric (they are donating % of sales so thought i would try and donate when getting supplies too)
xEm

Ingsthings said...

What a great idea! Will definitely like to send some cuddles and hugs through - thank you for doing this ingrid

Mozi Esme said...

Great idea!

Wood Violet said...

I'll be sending love and prayers wrapped up in some softies from Canada.

Anonymous said...

We lost our dear brother in law in the fires and he leaves behind our sister and 8 year old nephew. You are doing a wonderful thing that will touch the hearts of many.
Thankyou.